Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Three years!

On this day 3 years ago I woke up at about 5:00 in the morning, as nervous as I can remember being. I wasn’t nervous about what I was about to commit to, but about doing it in front of 250 people. Well, I made it through without sweating through my suit and I can honestly say that my life every day since then has been better than the day before. Also, it recently occurred to me that we've been married longer than we were dating/engaged. That is crazy! I guess time flies when you don't spend hours and hours making out.

Coincidentally, last night Valerie and I finished our first monthly budget with the impetus given us by Financial Peace University. Cheesy name, I agree, but this junk works. For the first time in my life I would say that I am completely comfortable with our finances. I can also say that income-wise we are the most strapped we’ve ever been. What a miracle that these two things can coincide! But, we’re absolutely committed to living within our means. So much so that to celebrate our third anniversary we are foregoing the original plans of getting sushi at Dragonfly, the best sushi restaurant in town, and instead going to Leonardo’s for good pizza served by Gainesville’s “I’m-so-indie-I-wear-my-attitude-on-my-tattoo-sleeve” finest. I can’t begin to tell you how much more I will enjoy Leonardo’s, eating peacefully within our means with a wife that is, in every aspect of our life, on the same page as me and infinitely supportive of me.

Dad tip? Listen to your wife when she is concerned about finances. Don’t take it personal even though it is on your shoulders to provide. And for a second, free dad tip, make your requests made known to God, because what if He really does care for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment